Details

My photo
Sci-fi and Young Adult author: sometimes both. Dad, geek, diver. Tea, no coffee. @MikeCamel

Monday 1 April 2013

Big Brother's Little Sister - revision finished

It's done!  I took advantage of a quiet couple of days with the rest of the family away to complete the first revision of my second YA novel, Big Brother's Little Sister.  It's written for a slightly older audience than Hacking the Dragon, and at a little over 117,000 words, it's a lot longer too (Hacking the Dragon is currently around 65,000).  The main difference, though, is that it's a lot darker.

The themes they have in common is that they both have strong female protagonists, and in both cases, there's only so much help they can get from the adults in their lives to resolve the major problems that arise in their lives.  Pretty much everything else is different, though, including the worlds which Lena (Big Brother's Little Sister) and Kate (Hacking the Dragon) live.  Lena's world is technologically very similar to ours, though the political milieu is more right-wing, whereas in Kate's world, there are computer systems running people's houses and most adults have the Chip, a direct brain interface which, well, can cause problems.  That said, computer systems feature heavily in both - I'm keen to encourage characters (and my readers!) to engage with technology, whether they're boys or girls.

Now I need to decide what to do with it.  Hacking the Dragon is currently seeking an agent, but I've not got that far with Big Brother's Little Sister yet.  I think I need to find a few friendly readers to get their views, and to decide whether J, my eldest, is going to be happy with the darker outlook presented by this novel.  I think she'll be fine, but I suspect we'll spend quite a lot of time talking about the more adult themes that the book presents.

More later, but for now, it's time for a cup of tea (and maybe that chocolate éclair that's sitting in the fridge downstairs).

No comments:

Post a Comment