Details

My photo
Sci-fi and Young Adult author: sometimes both. Dad, geek, diver. Tea, no coffee. @MikeCamel

Wednesday 13 March 2013

On choosing names

First post on the actual craft of writing, and it's one of things I struggle with the most: how to name characters.  You have number of options, as I see it:
1) reflect real people's characters, using their real names (danger!)
2) make up names - Arkled'd, Hornwrinkle and the rest
3) look up names in other books/media
4) take real names, try to give them different characteristics

I lean towards 4, but worry that I may not have done a good enough job, and that people will think they recognise themselves, however hard I've tried.  I also worry about the mix of different ethnicities in my books, particularly as I live in a predominantly white British rural community. 

I'd love to hear other people's experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment